Royal Navy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Navy

Pirates Of The Burning Sea

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lower gun-ports.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Will Collister

Will Collister

Lower gun-ports. Empty
PostSubject: Lower gun-ports.   Lower gun-ports. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Morning gentlemen,

Whilst contemplating the battles of Trafalgar and the Glorious First of June, I realised I had never noticed the advantage (consolation) of being in the enemies' lee in-game. What happens is that in a strong wind, any ship presenting either side to the wind would heel in the opposite direction forcing the lower gundeck in a first-rate, for example, closer to the water, and sometimes even rendering them unusable. I never had a chance to try out the first-rates in the game as I left the beta before things got out of hand. So I was wondering if anyone who had the pleasure of sailing one ever noticed the lower gundeck being rendered unavailable due to heavy winds?

If so, crossing an opponent's line from windward to leeward may be advantageous when heavier ships with multiple decks enter the scene.
Back to top Go down
Darius Walker

Darius Walker

Lower gun-ports. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lower gun-ports.   Lower gun-ports. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 pm

I do recall having the full power of my gun batteries under my control even with strong winds. One would think the lowered gun ports to port or starboard would render them unusable, but i think FLS agreed that by doing that would take some of the "fun" out of the game, sir. Therefore, that factor that probably affected the afore mentioned battles substantially, will not have effect on future battles whilst fighting in game. Those tactics would have been a huge advantage for a smaller faster ship to cross an enemy's stern whilst taking minimal damage, if any at all with a stiff breeze.
Back to top Go down
Will Collister

Will Collister

Lower gun-ports. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lower gun-ports.   Lower gun-ports. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 10:39 pm

Ah, thankyou Captain Walker. I suppose FLS are right in supposing that a feature of that nature may detract from the overall fun of the game for anyone less... historically inclined. I suppose I'll just have to keep to their sterns instead!
Back to top Go down
Lockhart

Lockhart

Lower gun-ports. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lower gun-ports.   Lower gun-ports. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 12:02 pm

What's the difference of having my lower ports underwater or having my full ship underwater, you ask me?

I can only say, Time! And I don't like it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lower gun-ports. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lower gun-ports.   Lower gun-ports. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lower gun-ports.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Royal Navy :: Ship Combat-
Jump to: